Monday, June 7, 2010

Silver Spoons



I woke up this morning with Pia gone and Micah sitting up on the bed looking at me in a quizzical way, uttering, "Owww???" This brought a smile to my face and the moment i hugged her, Che-che appeared by the door on her way to pick Micah up and prepare her for her morning bath. My morning was promising to be a blissful one!

I have this bad habit (some of you who can relate might not think of it bad though) of making absolutely sure that things that come in sets should forever remain in sets (for example, Pia's toy blocks - all 100 of them, Pia's Aquadoodle set, Micah's tipping Chicken Toy, Pia's marker, my plates set, etc.). No room for what-ifs. This simply means that I hate loosing any single item that is part of a set. So, imagine my ire when I found out that I was missing two teaspoons and one salad fork (or perhaps you can't! Hahaha!). I told my 3 angels that it is of utmost importance that these items be found! Or I would die in frustration!, I silently told myself...


Regimental Silver Spoon

About 20 minutes later, reflecting on my ridiculous behavior, I started to laugh at myself. Oh my God, Jaja, you should've seen yourself: ranting and raving on about the do's and don'ts of caring for things and the how-many-times-have-I-told-you-this-before's. My 3 angels (all of them from humble backgrounds) were staring at me as if I had just gone crazy! Trying to compose myself, I told them in a more quiet voice, "You see, when you all are building your own homes, you will understand why I 'almost' blew my top". Uh-oh, I couldn't be more wrong. These ladies didn't have the luxury of growing up with a silver spoon in their mouths (and neither did I) so they couldn't relate to the point i was driving at. For them, material things come second only in a list of priorities where happiness, a full stomach and sound shelter occupy the top three entries.

Lesson for the day, one word is not enough even for the brightest person. No one is exempted. Instead of focusing on the frequency of giving out the instructions, perhaps what should matter is this: where does it place in your list of priorities? Is it high up or down low. If it was the latter, perhaps more thought should be given on the matter first? If it was in the former, then by all means, rant and rave away!!!

3 comments:

  1. haha.:) glad you are writing. i love reading your blogs...a lesson i learned from a friend years ago when i get frustrated or anxious: "Will this matter a year from now?" I guess not. Only people, relationships,family, friends, the things that last for eternity, our God, they are the only ones that matter in the end.

    thanks for sharing with us your delightful perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. i think i remembered you telling this story and your utensils ended up in the other oquinenas' place. haha.

    nice blogs ate ja! funny and entertaining. pero may lesson pa rin. include me in your fellow acrobats na rin. :)

    keep writing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete